In 1994, the Bassingbourn-cum-Kneesworth Local History Society (sadly no longer in existence) published a book called A Chronicle of Two Villages to celebrate the centenary of the formation of Bassingbourn Parish Council in 1894. Many people in the village contributed to this work - some recognised, some not - and we thank them for this. As with Wikipedia, occasional errors creep in when so many people make their own individual contributions but A Chronicle of Two Villages presents an interesting picture of life in Bassingbourn-cum-Kneesworth over the years. It is reproduced here with kind permission.
The first petrol-driven London taxi cabs were made by Heatley & Gresham in Bassingbourn. Author David Hamdorff, originally a Bassingbourn resident, won a County Prize for his essay seventeen taxis? which was then published as a small book. It is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author.
Kneesworth House is a large country house laying back from the Old North Road. It was built in 1904-6 by Roland Plumbe for Lord Knutsford on the site of a previous house. In 1948 it became an approved school for boys. Today it is part of a private hospital operated by Partnerships in Care. A Brief History of Kneesworth House and its Occupants is reproduced here by kind permission of Partnerships in Care and the author Robin Scott.
A booklet prepared for the World War 1 Centenary Armistice Commemorations held in Bassingbourn on 11th November 2018